Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Arrived in Amsterdam

This morning I arrived to snowy and cold Amsterdam, which I’m told is a bit abnormal for this time of year. It actually isn’t that bad; even Atlanta had some snow flurries yesterday. The difference is Atlanta was warm and sunny the day before and probably went straight back to that condition today!

 

As a result of all the snow in Amsterdam, our office is closed. The office manager got snowed in at her house, so no one was there to open the doors for me and my colleague, Eduardo Rocha. Thankfully, we found out with enough time so we just went straight to our corporate apartment where we were headed anyway (so I could wash the international travel stink off me) and we are staying there for the day. The corporate apartment is absolutely beautiful, and in a perfect location right in the heart of Amsterdam near the Anne Frank house. It is appointed in contemporary European style with wide-planked bleached hardwood floors (that appear to be heated), stainless steel appliances, flat screen TV’s with a Bose sound system, Grohe faucets and fixtures, and an espresso machine. It’s much more comfortable than a hotel. It is set up in a roommates sort of plan so each of us has our own room and bathroom and then we share a common living area. The apartment has a terrible wireless internet connection and that is definitely slowing me down today, but I am surviving without it…barely.

 

The flight over was one of the worst ones I have experienced from a comfort level perspective, so I’m very happy to be settled into a relaxing and comfortable environment. I was on a terrible Delta flight on a 767 in a seat that didn’t recline with a headrest that had neck support but turned out to be a tease as it collapsed every time my head put pressure on it, and to make matters worse I had a small electrical box where my right foot should have gone, so I was basically sitting upright with my legs crossed for the entire flight. Note to self and anyone else reading this: Don’t book seat 29C on Delta flight 38 from Atlanta to Amsterdam!

 

I miss Rohan a lot on this trip (and Tina too of course). I think yesterday he really knew I was leaving and that was the first time he put two and two together in that he saw my suitcase and the way I was acting and knew I was going to be gone for a while. Tina told me he cried for five minutes after I left, which definitely made me sad. There will be many more of these days to come because a consultant’s life is all about travel.

 

Until the next posting…

No comments:

Family Christmas 2007

Family Christmas 2007