Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The weather is back to normal and I'm feeling fine (notes from Amsterdam)

I awoke this morning with the urge to go do something active and lose the jet lag. I find getting back into my routine for both fitness and food is the best way to do that.

Last night we went to a reasonably posh if not trendy restaurant called Werck, which I found out after I got there should have been called "Wreck" because of the poor service and low quality food. That was a disappointing start, so I hope tonight we can find a place with equally as pleasing ambience with the food to match!

I also went to a grocery store to make good on eating better on this trip and with the hope I can control myself. On my trip to Helsinki a few weeks ago, I gained 7 pounds. I don't know how I did it, but sure enough the pants felt a little tighter when I got home. Anyway, back to the grocery store. It was called a super market, but was equivalent to the size of two 7-Eleven stores. I surveyed the store to see what they had before grabbing anything and found it was a decent market with fair variety for how small it was. I found the prices to be relatively cheap, especially on alcohol. Of course, I have to convert to USD, but when I compare the prices here to the prices at home, I think European groceries are cheaper. Alcohol was cheap. I bought a bottle of Bordeaux for 4€ and you could pick up a twelve pack of Heineken for 7€ and change. Fruit was also reasonably priced, so I bought packs of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and apples (the only that wasn't cheap). I look forward to eating them today.

Amsterdam is really the perfect runner's town. It's basically flat, with the only hills to speak of the bumps you have to go up and over to pass over all of the canals. The streets are generally brick, and while that can sometimes be a bit tricky to navigate if one has come loose, I think it's easier on your body than concrete. I ran around both sides of Prinsengracht this morning, which is one of the rings that form semi-circles around Amsterdam. I ran the whole thing in 37 minutes, so basically that should give you some perspective on the size of the Amsterdam central district (it's small). If you haven't been to Amsterdam before but expect to go at some point, bring your walking shoes. You can really walk around this whole city without ever needing a car.

Our whole team is coming to our office today, so I'm looking forward to seeing everyone and having a productive day. Until next time…

No comments:

Family Christmas 2007

Family Christmas 2007